To help ensure that every ride is safe and enjoyable, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation offers a few simple rules for motorcyclists:
1. Get properly trained and licensed – Take an MSF RiderCourseSM and obtain the appropriate motorcycle license endorsement from your state.
2. Wear all the gear, all the time – Always wear a DOT-compliant helmet and eye protection, as well as over-the-ankle boots, gloves, riding jacket and pants.
3. Ride unimpaired by alcohol or other drugs – Riding under the influence dramatically decreases a rider's necessary skills, especially vision and judgment.
4. Ride within your own skill limits and obey traffic laws – Every rider should know their personal limits, and never ride faster or farther than their abilities can handle.
5. Be a lifelong learner by taking refresher RiderCourses– Riding skills are perishable, so take an occasional refresher course. No matter how often or how long you've been riding, there is always room to learn something new.
For more safety information, go to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation website @ www.msf-usa.org.